Wednesday, December 17, 2008

0 Rhapsody Q&A With Drumma Boy



In this interview, Drumma Boy discusses working with T.I.,his feelings on auto-tune,the success of "Put On" and memories of late Def Jam Executive Vice President Shakir Stewart.

Despite DJ Toomp reuniting with T.I., it seemed like the songs you produced like “What Up, What’s Haapnin’” and “Ready For Whatever” really shaped the album. Did that surprise you?

It’s a blessing. Toomp reached out to me personally. He was executive producing the album. A lot of these dudes that are doing business with me, there’s no negativity, drama or animosity. These are my peers and homies. Toomp has produced T.I. since day one. It’s not hurting Toomp in any way or form or fashion to say, “Look you hot right now. I need some help with this T.I.” Toomp working on Jay-Z and on bigger and better things. I stepped up to the plate.


Did you work with T.I. at his house?

I’m cool with his assistant and she was like, “He’s going to be on house arrest so if you want, we have a visitation list.” I gave my information. I was the first producer to work with T.I.P. “Ready For Whatever” was the first track we ever cut. And he explaining to you on that song why he was doing what he was doing and the situation. I went to the crib with like 30 beats and he picked out like 27. He was like, “You know you’re the dude right now. I’m hearing your name everywhere. Glad to have you in the house.” Then he showed me around the mansion. He was in great, great spirits. We as men go through a lot of trials and tribulations, but we got to keep our head up, and at the end of the day, if you collapse, we all collapse. So, somewhere one of us has to stay strong. One strong, all strong.

What was the illest part of his crib?

The paintings. He had $100,000 paintings or it might be worth like $350,000. T.I.P is a smart dude. He knows how to invest and put his money where it’s going to be profitable and beneficial. I met [T.I.’s manager Jason] Geter at 17. And I’m 25, now. It took me damn near eight years to make a T.I. placement. I was here when I’m Serious, Urban Legend, etc [dropped]. All these albums, I’m in this n*gg*’s face with CDs. To finally do business and then for “Whatever” to be the first track for him to just let it all out was like, “Man!” I’m in this dude's house and he’s calling me a king." It’s just crazy.

Click Here To Read The Full Interview

0 comments: