Saturday, September 12, 2009

0 XXL Interviews Boi-1da


The man behind Drake's "City is Mine", "Ransom", "Best I Ever Had', "Uptown' and more recently, 'Forever"(which features the likes of Kanye West, Lil Wayne & Eminem) chops it up with XXL Magazine regarding working on Drake's new album, his own signature sound, working on Dr. Dre's Detox and how his prices have changed since the release of "Forever":

XXL: On your wiki page it says that you’re working on Detox, is that true?

Boi-1da: Yeah I was actually submitting tracks for Detox through my boy Brandon, who’s [the] A&R for Dr. Dre. After he heard the “Set it off” track that I did for Kardinal, he actually wanted that beat. I had already gave it to Kardinal and it was already on his album but he liked the beat so much that he didn’t even rap in three years and he came out, he came out and started rapping and did a remix over it. Everybody was like, “What the hell, Dr. Dre ain’t rap in like three years.” So they were hollering at me to get a beat that was like similar to that.

XXL: You got some track record, man. You got Dre rapping, you putting out Eminem, Kanye and Wayne on the same track. What other projects are you working on?

Boi-1da: Right now I’m working on an artist from Toronto I’m developing named August. He’s an R&B singer, amazing R&B singer. Like he’s really, really good. We’re working on his stuff. I’m working on a lot of stuff with Sean Garrett. He’s writing to a lot of my beats. I submitted some stuff for Usher. Usher is cutting, I think he cut a record of mines yesterday.

XXL: Word

Boi-1da: Who else? I’m trying to work with the Jonas Brothers. Like I’m just trying to get in with it where I fit in. You know?

XXL: Wow

Boi-1da: I don’t even care. I just, I’m just trying work with whatever, whoever, why ever, however. You know what I am saying?


0 comments: