Sunday, September 13, 2009

0 Big Sean Interview W/ Format Magazine



Detroit native and G.o.o.d Music artist, Big Sean recently sat down with format magazine to discuss meeting Kanye West, going on tour, his album: "Finally Famous" (which he says is looking at a September release), his affiliation with Burn Rubber, and dealing with the ups and downs of the music industry.

Format: When you first met Kanye and attended his secret listening party for Late Registration, where was it at?
Big Sean: It was actually located at a secret Universal office in the outskirts of Metro Detroit. The thing was they didn’t tell me where it was at – they told me word for word, “Yo come through the listening party, we’ll put you and + 3 on the list. It’s at a secret location, see you there.” and they left. And they told me that right after I rapped so I was so focused on the fact that I just spit for him [Kanye] and he liked it, then he took my CD and said he was going to listen to it in the car — I wasn’t really thinking as clearly as I should have been — I straight forgot to ask where it was located.

Then after Kanye left the station I was running around the station like a chicken with it’s head cut off asking where the listening party was at and nobody knew! As I was hoping back into my car I thought I missed my chance cause nobody knew where it is. And as I was getting in my car, some guy who was parked in front of me was hopping out of his car and said, “Hey! You that kid that rapped for Kanye? Man that shit was crazy! You going to the listening party?” and I was like, man, I don’t know where the fuck it is! Then he reached in his pocket and pulled the address out on a business card and handed it to me. And that’s how I ended up at the listening party.

Format: Is there a date set for your album, Finally Famous to drop?
Big Sean: Yeah, Kanye and LA think around September, so we’re really about to kick things in high gear. The album itself is almost done though. Got appearances from Ye, Pharrell, Dream, and most importantly me. [Laughs] But I honestly hope it will change the game. I’m excited to do what I’m in love with!

Format: What should we expect from Finally Famous? Is there a theme or message?
Big Sean: Well, the whole theme of Finally Famous is way deeper than it sounds. The meaning of ‘Famous’ is being recognized for your craft. We threw ‘Finally’ in front of it to symbolize that the patience needed to achieve that craft. So basically anyone who is recognized for doing something very good, whether it be music, school, talking, etc. Whatever you’re very good at doing, you’re ‘Finally Famous’ for it. So it’s a concept everyone can embrace and relate to.

Format: Tell me about your style and your swag; who are your biggest influences?

Big Sean: Swag is, and style is just an extension of yourself. So my biggest influence is my mind I guess. I like what I like. It’s just certain clothes I love (Bape, BBC/Ice Cream).

Format: You seem to always be wearing Burn Rubber gear, what’s your affiliation with them?
Big Sean: Burn Rubber are my homies. They lace me with gear all the time. [Laughs] They were my homies before they started doing clothes, hats, and stuff. I really like their clothes. They’re the homies. Got a Big Sean / Burn Rubber collabs coming soon.




0 comments: