Monday, April 26, 2010

0 Wiz Khalifa Speaks On The Success of “Kush & Orange Juice”, Record Labels, Your Girlfriend & More w/ Complex

Khalifa Man sat down with Complex to talk about The Success of “Kush & Orange Juice", his songwriting process, smoking weed with his mom (lol I know right?) and more. Here is a bit of what he had to say:

Complex: Good tip. For the people who don’t know, you’ve been in the game for a long time. What’s your writing process like and how has it changed over the years?

Wiz Khalifa: Really before I was on Prince of The City Vol. 1, and for a while after that, I would just hear a beat and go just write to it and just try to figure out a hook. I would write and just spit as hard as I could, which was cool for back then ’cause it really let people know that I was a good lyricist. Then after a while around like Star Power and Prince of the City Vol. 2, I started to really play with more melodies and singing and just trying to use different things, different swag. Just trying not to say stuff as hard, but be more about how I say it and then I kinda mixed those two [styles] together.

Now when I go in the studio I’ll hear a beat and really, I let the beat tell me whatever I want to talk about. I never really write my hooks, I just do those off the head like mixing melodies up. The singing style, that sort of developed itself cause at first I was kind of shy to sing because I didn’t think it was that tight. But people telling me that it was getting better and better. I kind of just stuck with the singing thing and now I’m at the point where I don’t write on paper anymore. I’ll just go in and I’ll lay like four bars and I’ll think about another four bars and come back and lay that, then put the hook together around that.

Complex: Do you think that there was a point where you thought, “Alright maybe this won’t work out. Maybe I should go to school and do some other stuff”?

Wiz Khalifa: I never felt like the music wasn’t gonna work ’cause I always worked hard at it and it always panned out for me. Every year it got better and better and even when I graduated high school my dad wanted me to go to college so he was like, “You got certain goals, but if you don’t get there by this time then you have to go to school, but if you do, then you’re straight.” So I kind of passed that [school] up way before he even expected.

Complex: First instinct is always the best. Switching gears, how long have your parents known you smoked? And what was their reaction?

Wiz Khalifa: [Laughs.] My mom…

Arthur Pitt [Wiz's PR/Marketing guru] interupts: You better be careful with mentioning your mom, I just got in trouble the other day. [Laughs.]

Wiz Khalifa: [Laughs.] Nah, nah, nah, she’s cool, she aight, she like that shit. [Laughs.] My mom knew I was smoking when I was 15. No, actually she knew the first time I smoked when I was in 6th grade, so around 13. I got in trouble for it and I thought weed was bad for a minute, but then I started smoking everyday! [Laughs.] So when I was like 15 she found out. She wasn’t mad about it. She was just like, “If you gonna be smokin’ give me some, nigga!” [Laughs.]


0 comments: