Monday, April 26, 2010

0 How To Make A Classic Mixtape 101: w/ Drake (Video)


Drake spoke MTV's Sway on how he approaches Mixtapes vs. Ablums and along the way, he drops some some knowledge on what it takes to make a classic mixtape. Rappers takes notes!!

"I think that when creating a mixtape, you have to approach it with a selfless mind-set," Drake told us. "A mixtape can't be the songs that don't make your album, or songs that aren't good enough to make your album make your mixtape — unless you're that good...Before, I remember people used to be in the studio cutting songs, and they would be like, 'Oh, that song is OK. I'll just put it on my mixtape,' " he added. "Now a mixtape is an actual tool. It's a format you need. You don't necessarily need it, but it can be useful. Like with Fab and the other guys, I know they do a lot of rapping on other guys' beats. It's hard to tour like that, as incredible as it may be. Now Wayne, when the No Ceilings set comes on, it's ridiculous. It's hard to rap over other people's songs and have it be timeless. With So Far Gone, when I did flip other people's songs, half the time people didn't know what song it was. I tried to pick stuff that was new or rare or just like an album cut. But yeah, man, if I use somebody else's beat, I try to make a song out of it." -


0 comments: