Friday, November 13, 2009

0 Mike Posner Interview W/ Hip Hop Game

Hip Hop Game Caught up Mike Posner to discuss his mixtape, "One Foot Out The Door", creating the theme song for Duke's Basketball Team, Signing with J Records and how he balances school and music.

Hip Hop Game: How do you like balancing going to class and doing that work along with making music and keeping a buzz in the game going?

Mike Posner: It’s definitely a challenge being a recording artist on a major label while being a senior at Duke but I think I’m doing a pretty good job. Since the year started I’ve done more than maintain my momentum. I increased it. I don’t think you wanted to interview me when I started this school year and I think I’ve increased my momentum since then. And I’m still doing pretty good in school. I haven’t had my midterms yet but I’ve done 20 bajillion shows. But we’ll see when grades come back. I have a 3.6 right now and I plan on maintaining that or raising it.

Hip Hop Game: Do any of the professors cut you some slack on assignments because of your music situation?

Mike Posner: Not really slack but they are very understanding since they know I'm not like partying or just being lazy. Some are very helpful and this goes back to last year. Last year I had a meeting with Jay-Z when I had a paper due and I think I got a few extra days on that paper. That was a cool teacher. But overall, Duke as a whole has been super-supportive of me. Professors, overall, are understanding and kids, if I have to miss, they’re giving me the notes or bringing me up to speed with what I missed in the class.

Hip Hop Game: Do you get any groupies at Duke because you’re signed to J Records or do the girls just not get down like that there?

Mike Posner: Uh…(laughs) I think girls are attracted to people that are doing well in anyplace. I do as well as any college kid.

0 comments: