Thursday, December 3, 2009

0 The Smoking Section Interviews Wiz Khalifa



The Smoking Section recently caught up with Pittsburgh rapper, Wiz Khalifa to discuss his album "Deal or No deal", leaving Warner bros, grinding independently,Twitter, who he thinks would be next years XXL Top freshman cover and more..

TSS: I could see that. On track 2 from Burn After Rolling, “Getting’ Up,” you say “…Been considered hipster ‘cause my shirts fit.” What does a classification like hipster mean to you?

Wiz Khalifa: Well, “hipster,” the word and the people I would consider to be hipster, they’re like…the way I would differentiate myself from them is the way I was growing up in Pittsburgh. Being around the people that I’ve been around, it’s like everything around me is street. In Pittsburgh, all my homies…they…do what they do and I’ve got homeboys in jail. You know, that was never really my life, but that’s what I’m exposed to. The reality. I really been in that. As opposed to a lot of people who stay away from that. I was in that, but I never let it take over me. Not saying that I’m cooler than anyone else, but I got both perspectives – from the street side and just being a normal kid. And think people can get that from my music, because you know, I can do a show at an all-white college or an all-white club. Then, go to Detroit or something like that and go to a hood-ass club and everybody’s gon’ love it and nobody’s going to try me just because they respect it. They can tell that my music – they way I talk, the way I act and what I say – is authentic...

TSS: If XXL does the Freshman gimmick cover again, you think you deserve a spot?

Wiz Khalifa: I don’t know, man. I don’t ever try and sit around say I deserve anything. If they decide to give it to me, it’d be cool. If not, I’m gonna’ still keep doin’ whatever it is I’m doin. Last year, when I didn’t get the cover, that kind of fueled everything for me and made me grind harder. So, maybe they’ll consider me for this year, or the next one that they do. But, you know, I just keep working.

TSS: What other rappers would be on the cover with you?

Wiz Khalifa: Hmmm…well, I don’t know, because everyone…well, J. Cole would be on there. Drake would be on there, because he wasn’t on the other one…

TSS: Yeah, they blew it on that one.

Wiz Khalifa: Yeah, he went to a whole other level. Probably J. Cole, XV, that dude CurT@!n$, Mickey Factz was already on there…I don’t know if I have enough names. I don’t know everybody, man (Laughs).

TSS: What about Big Sean?

Wiz Khalifa: Oh yeah. Definitely Big Sean. He’d definitely be on there.

0 comments: