Wednesday, December 16, 2009

0 Obie Trice & MoSS Talk New Album "Special Reserve" W/ XXL


XXLMag.com: How did you two hook up for Special Reserve?

MoSS: What a lot of people don’t realize is this album was actually recorded before Shady. Between 1997 and 2000 we recorded this album, and this is what we were recording when Shady called. That’s why we call it Special Reserve, because these are the tracks that have been sitting around for 10 years. In no way, shape or form am I suggesting these are songs that were rejected. It’s just that the direction in which [Shady] went didn’t really fit the music we were doing.

Obie Trice: This is pre-Shady music. This is basic Obie. It’s the music that you’ve never heard before. We put out a few singles back in the day like “Well-Known Asshole” and things of that nature, but this is rare music. MoSS used to go to school in Ohio, and my cousin also went to school up there. I was out of town just to get away and go up to the school and just hang out up there, and MoSS would have records in his room. We stayed in this one big room, like a studio apartment, and we was sleeping on floors and just tearing up this little small city in Ohio—but we would make music all day and all night. So this is just some of the things that I was going through back then, and some of the thoughts that I had, before the whole Shady thing.

XXLMag.com: Being that some of the material is nearly 10 years old, do you feel that the content will still resonate with listeners?

Obie Trice: It’s definitely relevant. I’ve listened to some of the music and I just laugh, like, Wow, that was me at that time. True fans of hip-hop music, though, they’re definitely gonna find something off this record. I definitely grew in [my] music since then. My new record, Bottoms Up is supposed to come out early next year, it’s definitely different than my flow patterns here.

0 comments: