Monday, October 26, 2009

0 Drake Talks "Thank Me Later "and "Fear" W/ Shockhound

Shockhound recently caught up with Drake to discuss his plans for his debut album, "Thank Me Later" and the story behind his song "Fear", which appears of the retail version of So Far Gone:

SHOCKHOUND: "Fear" was a solid new addition to the retail version of So Far Gone. What's the story behind the song?

DRAKE: "Fear" actually started before I did the So Far Gone mixtape even. I basically began with this record produced by DJ Khalil, and the beat and the way the strings cry tugged at me emotionally. I knew I needed to live a lot more before I could do the music justice. With that being said, I did one-and-a-half verses and quit. I had stopped after I said this line, "I never cried when Pac died, but I probably will when Hov does." I took a break after that because I didn't know where to go from there, and my story wasn't complete yet. I didn't have the song title. I didn't have the hook. I didn't know where I was going with it. I just knew I had a place to start, so I let it sit for six to eight months. It was my choice to put new material on the So Far Gone EP. I thought I could finally finish "Fear" then…I felt like I was ready to finish off those thoughts. I continued the second verse and finished the third verse, which is kind of dedicated to the people around me and what we've been going through as of late. Then I came up with this hook that was like, "Please don't be scared of me." That song is very reflective of where I'm at right now.

SHOCKHOUND: Is "Fear" the best indication of what Thank Me Later will sound like?

DRAKE: Yeah, I think so. Lyrically, I want to keep the album as genuine and honest as "Fear" is, but musically there will be a little more energy. There will be more moments of triumph, because my life is the best it's ever been in my 22 years of existence. I want my music to reflect that, but I still want to be able to relate and connect with people. It's a good indication. There will obviously be some variation — not every track is going to sound like that. I was actually going to save "Fear" for the album, but I wanted to give people another reason to buy the EP. In addition to having an official hard copy of So Far Gone, I wanted to give people something new, so that was my sacrifice.

SHOCKHOUND: Do you feel like you dig a little bit deeper than most mainstream rappers do? Your lyrics are extremely personal, but the music possesses a pop sensibility. You're giving the world something that's special to you in palatable form.

DRAKE: I appreciate that compliment. My goal and objective with music is to combine all the elements that I loved about music growing up. I love listening to songs from artists where I really feel like they're getting personal and exposing their lives. One song I always felt a lot of emotions from was "Lucille" by Anthony Hamilton. I remember the feeling I got from that, because it seemed like he was really telling a story. Even though he's not telling me all about his life, I'm able to mentally picture where he's at, what the bar looks like and what the woman looks like. He evokes emotion in individuals and provides them with vivid imagery where they can use their imaginations. I like to combine that storytelling style with great melodies and intelligent hooks that you remember. I love to do that, and it's working.


0 comments: