Thursday, July 30, 2009

0 Drake Interview With The BoomBox



The BoomBox talks to Drake about touring with Lil Wayne, How he started singing, his 2 Million dollar deal with Universal Records, How his relationships with women have change since his new found fame,The Young Money Compilation album and his solo debut, "Thank Me Later", which he says will probably drop around valentines day 2010. Here a snippet of the interview:


The BoomBox: There was a lot of talk about the unprecedented recording deal you signed with Young Money/Universal Republic. Beyond the $2 million advance, as a new artist you retain your publishing rights and masters to your songs and only cede 25 percent of your music sales revenues to the label. What kind of say did you have in the negotiation of that deal?

Drake: I didn't really care about the advance money. That's what's cool to the public because they think, 'Oh, s---, he has $2 million dollars.' But your advance could be a million dollars and you may never make money after that because you got f---ed so badly on the back end. But my biggest thing is having creative control. I don't want anyone telling me, "Oh, you can't put this single out or you can't shoot the video until this day. That's why I signed with my managers Hip Hop Since 1978. I didn't really care what they give me up front. My biggest thing was owning my music. I just wanted all my masters and I wanted Canada, as a country, as my own territory. Instead of signing to a label what I'm trying to do is sign to a phone company.


0 comments: