Friday, February 25, 2011

1 Flying With Da Fishes Interviews Malice (of The Clipse)


|Photo Courtesy of Gary C. Knapp (Virginian Plot)|

I recently got the chance to catch-up with Malice (of The Clipse) we got to discuss a plethora of things including his new book "Wretched, Pitiful, Poor, Blind and Naked" and why he chose to self publish it, religion vs. music, his managers 32 year prison sentence, what the future holds for Clipse and Malice also offers some advice for aspiring hustlers. You can order order you copy of Malice's new book by Clicking Here and you can also listen to the raw audio for this interview by Clicking Here.
FWDF: What’s going man? Thanks for taking the taking the time out to talk to us. How is everything?
Malice: Everything’s cool. I ain’t complaining.
FWDF: Okay, you just released your first book entitled “Wretched, Pitiful, Poor Blind, and Naked” yet you avoided the typical rapper turned author cliches; you didn’t hire a ghost writer, or use your rap career as the books main selling point and you also published it independently what made you approach this book so differently from other authors?
Malice: Wow! I appreciate you recognizing that first off. I really appreciate that. Basically, I have a story to tell, which you know is in the book WPPBAN and I guess with my rap career, one of the things my brother and [I] have learned is to go ahead, do it and get it done. We have waited for labels to get things popping and then they drag they feet & this that and the third. I reached out to a couple of major publishers and they loved the book, actually, they just wanted to put their insight in it, [but] that’s not genuine and it wasn’t coming from me, the things that they wanted done. I think my fans will appreciate getting to really know what I have to say without it being polished or fabricated and glossed all up. [So] I just went ahead; I started my own publishing company (Thor10 Publishing) and I said let me go ahead and fund it myself and I did it.
Click On "Continue Entry" To Read The Full Interview
FWDF: In “Wretched” you mention feeling like as a group, Clipse is constantly trying to reclaim its past glory, but then you also say you’re not really motivated to work hard. Do you think this is a possible feat since ‘glory’ and ‘hard work’ usually go hand-in-hand?
Malice: Well, I think it depends on how you work and what the content of your work consists of. I think that if there is no substance to what you’re doing, then it’s like chasing the wind and you will work hard all day and there will be no glory in anything your doing. However, if there is something that has meaning to it, something that’s going to help humanity, teach somebody something, uplift somebody’s spirit etc. I don’t think you have to work as hard to do that, but I think otherwise, it can become chasing the wind. You can make a million dollars and you can spend a million dollars and you ain’t got nowhere. 
FWDF: Also, throughout the book you talk about losing your way and growing closer to God throughout your career. How has your relationship with God affected you musically? Do you feel more inclined to rap about certain things and less about others?
Malice: As far as my relationship with God, I do have a very personal relationship with God and I don’t have to attribute that to my music. I don’t want to be preachy to anyone as far as what I believe. I take a firm stand in my faith will let anyone know about my faith as I have always done from the beginning. In all of our Clipse albums, I have always made reference to my faith, always. Any Clipse fan will tell you that… I do happen to love to make music, I love hip-hop and I do love to rap, [but] it doesn’t necessarily mean that your going to see me on gospel tracks or become a Christian rapper and nothing is wrong with that I’m just saying that I don’t think I would do those avenues a good service, that’s not what I’m known for...My relationship with God is first and foremost in my life and really, I don’t have to coincide it with music at all.

FWDF: You have revealed plans to release a “Wretched, Pitiful” Movie. How is that going to differ from the book and do you have a projected release date?
Malice: No I don’t. I don’t want to give away a release date that is something that we have been working on and are currently working on. It’s going to really go hand-in-hand with the book. I think when you add visuals to it, people can really get more of a feel [for the story]. I tried to paint the best picture I could as far as writing the book. Visuals always just add a little bit more because you don’t have to think as much and its right there before you.
FWDF: You’re also planning on releasing another book entitled “32”; could you give us a brief synopsis on that?
Malice: 32 is basically the life of my good friend and manager Antony Gonzalez, who is currently serving a 32 year sentence right now. We talk daily and he feels compelled to tell his story and open up a lot of eyes as far as the youth. We don’t think anyone has done it better than we’ve done it as far as hustling and you always hear ‘you gon’ either end up dead or in jail’. I always heard that and believed it, but I just never believed that anything would happen to my friends or people that I knew. I don’t know why, that was just foolish. When it went down, I was in a whole different world it was all surreal to me. I think it was a wake-up to everyone around us friends, family our community and if we could stop someone from going that same route… cause it was fun, games and giggles until it went down and If you had to ask Anthony right know if it was all worth it I know that he would give you a resounding ‘no’.
FWDF: Given, that you survived your own days in the game and have successfully launched a clothing line, record label, film and Book Company, what tips would you give to aspiring hustlers looking to venture into similar avenues?
Malice: It’s about having direction. It’s about having purpose. It’s about not running on that treadmill, just running but getting nowhere. I personally believe, and these are MY personal beliefs, that #1 you have to have God first in anything in order to have a guideline for you rules and regulations and your own personal do’s and don’ts. [Also], when you make money and you’re being prosperous, I think you should help someone who’s trying, if you can [and you are] blessed enough. I think those kinds of things don’t go unnoticed. I think it brings a whole bunch of good to you and you will flourish more when you give more.
FWDF: What does the future hold for Clipse as a group, since you and Pusha-T seem to be establishing yourselves in different aspects of entertainment?
Malice: I think that’s always been the great thing about the Clipse. I think that what the fans know us for; Pusha [has] the more showy, kind of brash, kind of swaggerific style. I think in my verses, my perspective is deep. I guess me having a family and kids, I always think deep and I always speak about things that I think matter. I like to say Pusha gives you want, I give you what you need.
FWDF: Malice, thanks for taking the time to chop it up with us. Do you have any last words?
Malice: Thanks for all the support on the book and I thank your site as well for taking a interest in the interview. I hope sharing my life with you, inspired you in some kind of way and if not, it’s cool. Like I said, I’m not trying to make anyone think like I think. I’m just telling my story. -

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great interview!