Monday, March 22, 2010

0 Diggy Simmons Talks Sibling Rivalry, Music, Fashion & More w/ Karen Civil

KC: The sudden rise in popularity and hype has to be bittersweet because a lot of comments praise you but downplay your brother. Can you speak on how it feels to receive the success you have right now but have people criticize JoJo at the same time?

DS: First off, I’m super thankful for the response and everybody that supported. I definitely want to shout out everybody who has been rockin’ with me since The First Flight. Concerning JoJo, he’s someone I’ve looked up to rapping my whole life. I don’t have a change in perspective in hearing his skills because he’s been doing it longer than me. He’s older. It’s a different thing to see, but it’s something that I ignore. We really don’t let it [the comments] get to us. He notices it, but we always encourage each other.

KC: Let’s shift the topic a little bit. There has “reportedly” been tension between you and Lil’ Twist of Young Money. You want to clear the air on that?

DS: Yeah, man. Twist is like my brother. I love that dude to death. Everything is good with me and Twist. I think the tension was caused because we’re both young rappers and we’re trying to come up at the same time. It’s probably people may see the beef and then want the beef, but there is nothing between me and Twist.

KC: To go back to your “Made You Look” video, you had a line about Bow Wow. I, personally, didn’t see it as a diss. You said something to the extent about his fans not growing with him as he got older, which is true. He’s definitely not as successful as he was earlier in his career. Are you worried about the stigma that “child rappers” get? Or do you feel your music will speak for itself?

DS: I’m happy you brought that up. Nothing against Bow Wow at all. No beef, no diss, no nothing. I was just basically saying the truth. My music isn’t necessarily geared towards only kids. Bow Wow’s was. He actually called me and commended me on my work. He didn’t even mention it, but I’m pretty sure he saw the video. Bow told me I’m doing it real big right now.

I feel that my music is going to grow and I feel my fans are going to grow with me. It’s important that I catch every demographic. I mean age, ethnicity, type of people…everything. That’s why the genres that I listen to and the music that inspires me are pretty wide. The next track that I’m releasing is actually not off a Hip-Hop beat. I’m pretty well rounded when it comes to music and that’s just something that’s always been.


0 comments: