Saturday, August 8, 2009

0 Drake Doesn''t Mess With Motown...



Story Via XXL:

Drake has spoken out about his personal beef with Sylvia Rhone the president of Motown Records and the executive vice president of Universal Records – the parent label to mentor Lil Wayne’s Young Money imprint - on record before. On “Say What’s Real,” a track from his critically-acclaimed mixtape So Far Gone he spit: “I’ve always been something that these labels can’t buy/especially if they trying to take a piece of my soul/and Sylvia be telling Tez/Damn, Drake fly/and he just be like, ’silly motherfucka I know‘”

Now some light has been shed on their relationship. According to the article, during Drake’s bidding war, Rhone threatened the rapper with legal action if he went elsewhere.

At the end Drizzy says the Young Money logo will appear on his CD but he explains he is doing so out of respect not because of contractual obligations. ”I respect the fact that Wayne put me in this position,” he said. “But as an artist I have to do my own thing at this point. I’m not sure if that’s gonna be a struggle in the next couple of month, to set myself apart. I don’t want it to feel like a disrespectful thing, but I know it’s a bridge that I’m going to cross as far as becoming my own person.”


0 comments: