Tuesday, August 19, 2008

1 How To Improve Your Music Production Skills Faster


Improving As A Producer

"This is one of the most important newsletters you will receive from
me.

One of the main problems I find in producers is they don’t know how to constantly improve their sound.

If you have been producing for a year, you should notice a BIG difference between the beats you made last year, and the beats you make now.

It’s one of those things that can’t really be explained, but by human nature our ablilities improve over time with repitition.

I listen to beats I made years ago when I first started, and my face cringes.

I can’t believe I’m even showing you this, but I am because I have a gut feeling that it will inspire you to keep at it and not give up.

Listen To Old Wack Beats

Listen To Recent Beats

Right away you can tell the difference. In fact you probably wouldn’t have ever guessed the same producer made those beats.

Keep reading because I’m going to give you the exact methods I use to improve my craft each and everyday.

The 4 P’s Technique

Technique #1 PRACTICE:


I know this one goes without saying, but there are still up and coming producers who don’t understand you need to constantly practice in order to get better.

There are times when your friends want to hang out and smoke weed, and you know you could be in the studio perfecting your craft.

During times like this it’s always a good idea to go with your friends to smoke the weed then go right back to your studio and make beats.

Why do you think NBA players have to go to practice 3-4 times per week? These are the greatest athletes in the world, but yet they still practice to get better and better.

That’s no different than a producer, you need to be cranking out beats everyday and night, and in most of your spare time.

Technique #2 PASSION:

This one really isn’t a technique, but it is equally as important.

It’s critical you are doing music production out of passion. You have to have that unexplainable drive to create beautiful music.

If you’re doing music production because it’s the new TREND then you’re going to have a hard time improving much.

Passion is that drive that makes staying up till 4am in the studio working on beats for free with no sleep FUN.

Making it successful as a music producer isn’t easy. It takes hard work, investment, and talent.

Most people fail as a producer because they lack one of the three.

All I’m saying is make sure you are passionate about music before you go full force at it.

Technique #3 Piano:


Let me make this clear. Knowing how to play piano doesn’t make you a hot/wack producer.

What it does is give you an advantage when creating beats.

When you know chord progressions, scales, and notes you can come up with HOT beats in no time.

Why? Because you already know what sounds good together and more importantly why it sounds good together.

A SECRET I forgot to mention was that in this time I learned how to play the piano well.

Later in this issue In the recommended section I’m going to show you exactly where you can learn piano to increase your music production skills.

Technique #4 Persistence:

You’re dellusional. I was too. When it comes to our beats, we hear what we want to hear. The first beat you heard from me, I actually thought that was the hottest beat ever…

Nobody could tell me different. Of course there were people who called me wack, and the truth is, I was.

But I kept practicing. And as time went on, my beats got better.

Keep your ear open and listen to the beats major artist use. Compare your beats with the INDUSTRY!!!

Don’t compare your beats to other up and coming producers.

If you want to make it as a producer you are going to have to prove you can compete with the Big Boys.

Right now your beats may not be anywhere near ready, but keep being persistent. Keeping looking to improve.

One day you’ll look up and realize you REALLY do make some of the hottest beats in the world.

Real talk.

Now that you know how to improve your skills, it’s up to you to take action and do it".

-courtesy of liveoffbeats

1 comments:

SoniQ Sky said...

Wow! I like this, thanks 4 the motivation